Wednesday, January 5, 2011

January 5, 2011

So, the unsavvy tech girl has started a blog!  This shows how excited I am to begin the Adventures of Thailand with the Peace Corps and my hopes to share it all with you!  I will be leaving on Saturday January 8, 2011 for orientation in Philadelphia where the 68 new Peace Corps Volunteers of Thailand (PCV's) will be meeting for the first time. We leave the following day and arrive in Bangkok on January 10, 2011. 

During the first 3 months, the PC will teach us about Thai culture, Thai language and the skills to succeed in our new homes, lives and jobs.  I will live with a Thai host family who will take me in for 3 months so I can be fully immersed in the language and culture!  After that, I will be placed to live in one of the many beautiful regions of Thailand to begin my 2 year service and to officially become a part of the Thai community.  During the 2 years, I will be a part of the Community Based Organizational Development (CBOD) project.  This project is quite flexible, but I will basically work with the community to learn from them, share each others lives and together make a difference in some way.  Those words are like heaven to me - I simply can't wait to begin this journey!

Although I have been preparing for this adventure for more than 1 year, I am still finding it difficult to part from the amazing family and friends I am blessed with - their support has been everything to me.  With their support, I look forward to meeting amazing new people, learn about a new culture and way of life, become a part of the Peace Corps and Thailand family and to begin a new and exciting chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment