Sunday, February 6, 2011

January 21, 2011

So, I’ve been living in Thailand for almost 2 weeks and although there’s still so much to learn, see, do, try, mistakes to be made, good days, bad days, etc. I feel very good here so far.  I think that’s much due to the family that has been hosting me for 1 week and who I’ll be living with for another 7 weeks.  I simply don’t think I can say enough wonderful things about them – they have been simply amazing.  They not only cater to my vegetarianism, but they cater to it with the most delicious Thai food I’ve ever had.  I keep telling them that 2 months with them and I’m going to be fat!  I think they are impressed with how much I can eat and how I like spicy food J  The family is first and foremost, genuine and sincere.  They are warm, loving and patient as they speak absolutely no English and I speak very little Thai.  Every day, my host mom teaches me something new, helps with homework, practices sentences and any Thai vocab I possess thus far is because of her and her kids.  They also teach me about Thai culture, appropriate Thai manners, eating etiquette (take a little food of 1 dish at a time into your plate, when you finish that, take a little more of 1 dish, and so on and so on), etc.  Somehow we communicate quite well – basically we have been playing lots of charades!  My homestay dad works in a bigger city for 3 weeks/month and then is home 1 week/month, so I haven’t met him yet.  But my homestay mom is just unbelievable.  They have 2 kids, a 10 year old boy who always helps me speak Thai and a 9 year old sister.  The kids were quite shy in the beginning but are slowly warming up.  They are obsessed with my bike (especially my host brother) so this weekend they will help me clean and oil my chain!   My host mom’s older sister also stays with us for pretty much all day.  So far, from my observation, she cooks ALL day (God bless her!) and she is responsible for the delicious meals!  I’ve washed my own clothes by hand as my homestay sister and her friend watched me and periodically giggled to each other (they were very cute…I was literally like a show to them!), yet also corrected me if I did something in a non-Thai fashion and/or answered my questions.   
Life is far from primitive, as I was expecting.  We have electricity, which is wonderful.  It depends on whose home you go to or what area you go to, but things will range from bucket baths to showers, squat toilets to flush sit down toilets.  My host family seems to fall somewhere in the middle regarding these amenities.   Honestly, the way of life is simple and nice here.  It’s the cold season so nights and mornings are cool.  But, the minute you start riding that bike, the heat hits like a ton of bricks.  It hasn’t been too uncomfortable yet, although I don’t look forward to doing anything in the hot season, let along biking!
The other night, I had a really nice moment with my homestay mom.  She called me over to the window and pointed to the moon that was lighting up the sky and it was so beautiful.  I told her so, as I also told her that Thailand was a beautiful country.   Up until this point, she had never asked me about America, but then asked me if America was beautiful.  I told her that it was.  It was such a simple exchange, but it felt good to be able to share that with her and share a piece of where I come from with her.  Since then, we have been able to share much more information about our families as well.  She asks about my family in America and asks if they are beautiful – of course I tell her yes!  
I miss you all and hope that you are all well J

No comments:

Post a Comment