Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm falling in love....(May 10, 2011)

.....with my community!  The more people I meet here, the more I love it!

I'm offiically living all on my own, like a big girl!  The house I'm living in is quite small, but perfect for me.  It's small enough to manage (cleaning,etc) yet big enough where I can have guests.  My home is on the same plot of land as my landlord.  The village is quite compact and there is not much space, yet there are beautiful flowers and trees.  I think it's better that I don't have land to maintain...if I want the views of fields, I walk 100 yards to my left and it's gorgeous.  There's this one farmer who walks his water buffalo down my block ever morning....so that keeps things real for me.

My first night in the new house, all of the new neighbors came over to watch me cook asking why I didn't use sugar or meat.  Interesting conversation.  One women came over with rice - I told her I had some already, I would just rather not eat rice for dinner that night. I proceeded to tell my spectators that although Thai people eat rice 3 times a day, Americans eat rice maybe 1 time a week.  There was literally a gasp from everybody (adults and children) and then silence.  The silence was broken by the women with the bag of rice as she began cooking it for me.  Again, I thanked her but said I didn't want rice.  This was apparently not acceptable and so the rice was made for me and I ate it for dinner.  It was actually a good thing because she taught me how to use the rice cooker!  Funny, even though now my cooking has become less of a novelty and I no longer have spectators, I eat rice every day.  I guess I'm just melding in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment