Monday, October 31, 2011

An unexpected turn of events

I think it’s safe to say that most PCV’s eventually learn not to get their hopes up about ‘doing stuff’ at their site.  By ‘doing stuff’ I mean having something legit to do during the day, saving the world, or simply having a feeling of purpose at site.  So, often PCV’s come here thinking they will make a huge, clear and tangible impact at their site, when in reality that’s probably not true.   I am by no means saying that we don’t make an impact, it just may not be one described as above.  I think that PC presence in Thailand is necessary and positive, as I am someone who views the cultural exchange as extremely important…even more important than the idea of a tangible ‘project’.  This doesn’t mean that I myself haven’t experienced ‘work-related’ disappointments.  Thailand’s work ethic is very different.  As in many other non-Western countries, everything that happens in Thailand happens much slower, if at all.  You may find yourself dedicating so much time and engery to plan for a meeting or writing a project proposal, to realize you never get the opportunity you thought you would have to do something with it.  I have learned to roll with the punches and not to take anything that happens or doesn’t happen, personally.  With this as my preface, I would like to share a story of complete Thai irony with you.

My very good friend and fellow PCV, Meechee, comes to visit me at my site to discuss and work on a recycling idea that has been brewing amongst a small group of PCV’s (and let's be honest, we really just wanted to hang out too!).  Our plan is a large-scale plan, yet we’ve brainstormed small-scale ideas as well that are feasible for each PCV to implement at their site.  With that, Meeche has been looking into things that can be made out of recycled goods, particularly pocketbooks.  Recycling is something my community doesn’t do (formally, at least and certainly not regularly) and I’m interested in sharing some cool new ideas about recycling and hey, while we’re at it, extra income (selling the pocketbooks).  So, I asked Meechee to bring her crocheting materials so she can teach me to crochet pocketbooks out of plastic bags.  My mom’s friend in America makes these very same pocketbooks and my mom brought one to me during her visit, ironically enough.  The bag is wonderful and I was excited to show Meechee (I love this bag!) and maybe teach some ladies in my community one day.  The day before Meechee comes, I get a call from PC and due to some miscommunications, I randomly tell them that Meechee is coming to my site to teach a group of women in my community how to make the bags and share ideas in general, about things they can make with recycled bags.  I don’t know why I told them this, but I am now in a situation in which I had 1 day to find a group of people to come together for this training. This is how things go down:
1.    
1.       1.   I call Meechee immediately while I’m biking on my way to the office.  I’m kind of freaking out, but we laugh at this situation we have somehow created and decide we have to whip something up.  I’ll find the people, Meechee will take care of the actual ‘training’.

2.     2.  I get to the office and see my counterpart at the office…. I’m lucky to catch her at this time because she was leaving the office for the day.  So, before she leaves I tell her Meechee is coming and we should take advantage of having another PCV come to exchange recycling ideas.  I get the go to round up about 10 women for a meeting the following day at 10am.

3.      3. A few weeks ago I am told that there is a group of women who recently learned how to make pocket books.   One of the ladies who makes the bags, who also happens to be the emergency health staff at the SAO, shares with me that materials are expensive.  I share the idea of using plastic bags instead (they are everywhere b/c people frivolously use plastic bags here) but she shows little interest.  Regardless, I figure I have to get her at this meeting because she’s at the SAO every day and I can easily contact her and tell her to invite her friends.  After some question asking, I learn she’s not at the SAO that day – seriously, c’mon! 

4.      4. I go to my friend at my SAO, her name is Fuun, who I ask to help me somehow find this woman.  As we are discussing this, a different lady, who never comes to the SAO, but also makes the bags walks into the SAO.  We tell her about the training, she lights up and says she’ll make sure to bring a bunch of ladies to the training the following morning.  Thank God.

5.      5. I then ask Fuun if we could get in touch with somebody from the HIV/AIDS group as I’d like to share this information with them as well.  She works some magic and contacts my favorite lady from this group, Metda to join us.  Funny.  Metda just returned home from Bangkok after living there for 3 months.  Metda is game.  Yay!

6.      6. What is happening right now?  Is this what we call ‘perfect timing’? 

7.      7. But, then I realize I have another concern: will they show?  Thai people often say they’ll come and then never come.  I keep my fingers crossed.

8.      8. Game day: 8 women show up.  I’m relieved as I was praying for 5. 

9.      9. Between the bag from America and Meechee’s awesomeness, the women basically figure it all out and start crocheting themselves.  Women in Thailand know how to do everything, they shock me with the things they know, so it’s no wonder they all already knew how to crochet.  They sat there for 2 hours crocheting, teaching each other, helping each other and asking lots of questions.  I was like a proud mom.

1    10. The ladies proceed to discuss the business prospects of this new-found gem, all on their own with no provoking from me, who desperately wants this to be a business prospect for them.  They spoke about how everybody in Thailand is already making the bags they’ve been making, but nobody in Thailand makes ‘things’ like pocketbooks, rain jackets, wallets, etc. out of plastic bags and other recycled goods.  If they do this, there wouldn’t be competition – they get it!  They profusely thank Meechee and I for sharing this information with them.  I felt like a real PC volunteer!

     11.  Metda, the lady with the HIV group, spent 2 hours crocheting like a bad-ass.  We arranged that Fuun, Metda and myself will teach the rest of the HIV group, all of the possibilities with recycled bags at their next meeting on October 21st.

Can you sense my excitement?  Can you sense that I’m now bordering this fine-line of hoping that this could actually be something and how dangerous it could be?!  Yes, it’s true…..although I’ve learned not to get my hopes up, I still get my hopes up.  Idealistic by nature J  But even if this ends up just a fun morning of exchanging ideas and getting to know some of the ladies in my community, that will be more than enough.  Who knows how the group of women inspired each other?  It could possibly be something someone said or did unintentionally…..or the simple comraderie they shared for those2 hours helping each other.  During my parents visit, they gave me some good advice: “All you can do is plant seeds – you may never see the results but you never know what could happen 20 years from now”.  I hope a seed or two was planted.  

** See facebook for photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment