Friday, March 11, 2011

March 12, 2011

So, life in Thailand has been busy.  The trainees and I have been doing lots of traveling and have been receiving tons of information.  About 3 weeks ago we found out where we will all be placed. I'll be placed in Esan, the Provice is Nakhon Phanom which is the most north eastern region.  i'm right on the border
of laos....my village is literally right near the mekong river, so i look over the river and there's laos!  i really wanted to go to this region as it's the poorest in the country. However, I did take a 2 day trip there and it seems as though my district does well, but i assume everybody always needs help.  They asked me to be there, and word is that they would like some HIV development in the Dtambon, so hopefully that follows through.  The people that I met were all really warm and welcoming and I look forward to moving there and getting to know all of them.  I move next week (yay!).  I will stay with another host family until the end of April and then will move from there.  The house I'll be living in for the 2 years was humble but nice....it was perfect for me.  There are many of the other peace corps volunteers near me, so I will get to see my new friends fairly regularly,which i think I will need!  Our swearing - in ceremony is Monday, March 21st.  One of the other volunteers and I were asked to make a speech in Thai on behalf of our group. We were both honored and very excited.  I know I'll be nervous, but I really am happy to do this and I will let you all know how it goes.

We have met numerous resource volunteers who have been serving and I have come to terms that Peace Corp volunteers cannot save the world!  Although I have faith that I have been placed in a good community with people who want me there to help, I must remember that 2 out of the 3 goals is cultural exchange.  It will be essential for me to integrate positively into my community and be a positive representative for America and also to learn about Thailand, culutre and people and share it with my friends and family.  I am really excited for this part and largely applied to peace corps for this reason.  I do hope that a few things follow in which I can be of service, and I do have faith that that will happen. 

So, the real journey begins in 2 weeks and I'm so excited!  Training has been a positive experience overall as I've met amazing people (both Thai and American) and look forward to carry what I've learned into my offiical site.  I'll keep you all posted!  Love you and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment