Sunday, March 27, 2011

March 26, 2011

So, now that I'm at site I have so many more interesting things to write about!  I went to my first monk ordination this weekend - amazing!  In Thailand, Buddhism is a central part of life - it's really more of a lifestyle than a religion.  Most young men are monks once in their life for a period of time.  It can be for any amount of time...for 1 week or for life.  Either way, they are usually young, like 19 or 20 and it's an enormous event for the community.  The festivities began on Saturday morning with preparations.  Basically all of the women spent all day in somebody's backyard and cooked.  Thai's don't do anything without music blaring in the background, so it was a festive day and a great way for me to meet the ladies.  I have a new friend who's nickname is Yoko and she literally looks like Yoko Ono but had no idea what I was saying when I tried to tell her that!  Anywho, later in the day was the ordination that took place in somebody's home.  The house was decorated and all the older women (we call them 'Yai') were there as the monk said his chant.  The 2 boys who were being ordained wore white and gold, beautiful garments.  After the chants, the monk gave the Nayoke and all of the older women there the white strings that are given during these ceremonies.  The purpose is to wipe away all things negative and bring good luck.  Since I was the newcomer, I was given this 'prayer' and string by everybody as well!  It was quite powerful and of course I got emotional because it was such a great feeling and it made me feel a little more like a community member, rather than the new 'farang' in the hood.  Farang literally means foreigner and it's what we're called regularly.  Not only do they give you the strings, but they gave us hard boiled eggs as well, not sure of the meaning but I love me some hard boiled eggs! I unfortunately missed the party later that evening, which consisted of karaoke and dancing.  My new host sister (who is my age and is adorable!) thought the party was at the Wat.  As it turns out, the party was not there but we met with a monk and we told him why I was in Thailand.  In Thailand, the day of week that you were born is huge.  It's like their horoscopes.  The monk gave my host sister and I a good luck pin for the day of the week were born on. He then said a prayer/chant for me to wish me good luck.  Once again, I was honored to be a part of it - it was a bit more special because it was just us and it was a bit more intimate. I ended up missing the party, but it was still a significant night.

So, this morning was the best part.  Everybody (meaning the families of the 2 boys/monks which consisted of tons of people) met back at the house in the morning.  The women were dressed in beautiful traditional Thai outfits.  Chairs were placed in the back of the pick-up truck where the 2 boys and 2 elders sat with them.  Another pick-up held the huge speakers for the traditional Thai music to be played from. Everybody gathered around the pick-up with the monks in it and we all danced on our way to the Wat.  Once we were there, we danced around the Wat 3 times as that's the lucky number.  As this is all happening, the important ladies in the family throw these little wrapped up gifts into the crowds of people and everybody goes nuts trying to get as many as they can...it was actually hysterical.  I later found out that the gifts were little mento candies and coins of baht.  After we danced around 3 times somebody carries the monks from the pick-up truck and then up the stairs of the temple to the wat.  I'm not sure why they don't walk themselves, but either way that guy who carried them up deserved a few extra little wrapped up gifts!  After that, the monks stay at the temple for however long they will be monks.  These 2 boys will be monks for 10 days.  It's a very proud time for the families and the celebrations were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment