Monday, April 4, 2011

There is a farang in town! April 1, 2011

I apologize for the lengthly blog....just so much to share!
When I realized that today was April Fool’s Day, I considered trying to tell my co-workers about it....you know, as part of the Thai/American cultural exchange and all.  However, after week 1 I have learned that I can’t understand anybody and few people understand me….and that’s when I’m speaking Thai!  So, I’m going to wait a little while longer to inform them of American holidays/festivities until by language is up to par.
It’s been an interesting ride so far.  It was my first full week at work and I’ve gotten to know my co-workers a bit.  It’s clear they like to have a good time and they are pretty funny.  When I didn’t understand the conversations at lunch, I just laughed along with them, which was perfect because I needed a few good laughs.  I have visited some of the daycare centers which was refreshing.  I’ll be going back to each of them to read and sing songs in English with the kids.  The community is desperate to learn English and that is the one task I am certain they want me to be involved in.  Although I’ve never taught English I have no problem doing so as I’m here to give the people what they want.  I’m also here to build upon the community’s strengths, so getting involved with the daycare centers and schools is a good entry tool for me to do other things that utilize their strengths.  I personally think that youth are a great strength of all communities, so getting involved with the kids in the schools is my segway to throw in some youth development/empowerment projects with the kids. 
My greatest success so far has been exercise.   Sounds little, but let’s not underestimate the small successes.  I’ll preface this story with that I have been eating enough for a 700 pound man.  My new family thinks that because I’m a vegetarian I need to eat extra of everything to make up for the no meat thing.  They also don’t understand that I literally get fed everywhere I go when they aren’t around, so they get really upset if I eat small balls of sticky rice instead of big ones.  Not only am I eating tons, I’m eating food that is delicious because it’s been doused in oil, sugar and salt.  I should say that every fruit, veggie and egg I’ve eaten so far has come from the backyard, which is amazing, and they are becoming accustomed to me eating raw veggies. But despite that, this week my goal was to begin exercising.  Once I informed the new host family that I would begin running again, they were concerned about my body image and kept telling me that I’m not fat, I can eat all I want and I don’t have to exercise so much.  Let me state that in one week I went running twice, which is nothing!  So, the village kids were excited that I was going running and they decided to join me.  I was really looking forward to some alone time on this run so was slightly disappointed, but they were excited and so I went along with it.  We went to the school and the 4 girls ran with me for about 1 minute and then went to the playground because they’d had enough.  So, I got my alone run in anyway and afterwards we did push-ups and sit-ups together, which they found hysterical.  This was a win-win situation!  We had planned to do the same thing again the following night, which was a Friday night and I was excited about it.   Word must’ve gotten out because there were a few newcomers with us the following day.  When we got to the school I realized that Thai kids do the same thing American kids do on their Friday nights: hang out at the schools.  So, as me and my village groupies began running, random people joined us.  I was running with this one guy at one point who was 28 years old and it was his first time running.  There were even 2 tough guys hanging out on their motorcycles who joined us.  I realized the only reason they were running because the strange new ‘farang’ (literally means foreigner) is in town, but I didn’t care – I was just stoked that they were running, who cares why!  I do hope that this continues.  It was a busy weekend, chock full of funerals, monk ordinations, meetings and swimming at the Mekong River so we shall see if they come join me next week.
Eventually, people began to drop like flies so I stopped as well to join in on the volleyball game.  I quickly learned that I had introduced myself to the village lady boys…..which I have been waiting for.  Lady boys are basically transvestites (always guys who dress as women) and are very common in Thailand.  I also quickly learned that they play like the American male Olympic volleyball team, so I didn’t last long in the game, but I hung in for a bit.  They were fabulous.  There was one who was definitely the leader of the crew and will be a hard nut to crack, but when I left she asked me to come back the following day so I’ll take that as she’s willing to give me a shot J
So, this week I have experienced more awkward moments than I can count but also some good moments that have made me feel like I have a purpose here.  If the next 2 years simply allow me to become a part of this community, make friends, understand the way Thai’s live and share a little bit of America and myself, I’ll be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment